Your honeymoon is one of the most important holidays you will ever plan. In the past, most newlyweds were happy with a bit of sun, a good beach and a nice hotel. These days, with couples marrying later in life, it often means that they have more disposable income at hand and may have already done a substantial amount of travelling before they get married. Couples are increasingly asking for the type of experience that is “once in a lifetime”, that no one they know has done before, something that they can share together and enjoy lasting memories from. A safari holiday can provide all of these things and so much more!
1. Adventure – A safari is in itself an adventure with the thrill of daily wild animal sightings and the excitement of the sights, sounds and smells of the surrounding scenery. If that isn’t enough drama for you then there are plenty of other activities you can partake in that will get your pulses racing, from canoe and boat safaris to walking safaris. Leaving the game parks behind, Africa has plenty more adventure from dune surfing in Namibia; cage shark diving in South Africa; gorilla tracking in Uganda; white water rafting in Zambia; bungee jumping at Victoria Falls, the list is endless.
2. Romance – It is impossible not to get lost in the romance of Africa’s sprawling wilderness. Imagine the romance of a balloon safari, a starlit bush dinner or a champagne toast at sunset. There are some incredibly luxurious and romantic lodges and camps from which to enjoy a safari. You will be pampered from the time you arrive and will not only enjoy the wildlife but also spa treatments, romantic picnics and champagne bubble baths.
3. Privacy and isolation – The vast majority of luxury safaris take place in idyllic destinations that are completely hidden, discreet and unpopulated – a stark contrast to the mass tourism in the traditional honeymoon spots of Europe and the Caribbean.
4. Unique experience – Certainly not your average beach holiday, a safari is unquestioningly a rare “once in a lifetime” holiday that few people get to experience. It will definitely ensure lasting memories. That said if you can’t quite give up on the idea of an idyllic beach holiday why not combine your safari with a stay along the Indian Ocean coastline or on one of the stunning tropical islands off the African coast.
5. Culture – Africa’s rich cultural traditions often make a safari that much more special; from the vibrant and colourful Masai to the beaming children waving as you pass through their villages. There is an abundance of opportunities to experience the African culture and every interaction you will have with the people will bestow lasting memories for you to treasure.
Photo credits: Wilderness Safaris, Islands in Africa, Nomads Sand Rivers, Kasaka River Lodge, Thanda Private Game Reserve, Cheli & Peacock, Governors Camp, Karen Blixen Camp, Asilia