Are you still on the hunt for this year’s family holiday? Whether you are planning some quality time with the kids for your summer break, a half term getaway or an escape from the weather with the family over Christmas and New Year, here’s a little enticement from us. As experts in luxury escapes to Africa and the Indian Ocean, we have prepared this useful guide to planning your once-in-a-lifetime family holiday.
Getting your children out of the city, miles from the trappings of the modern world and totally enchanted by nature is what our holidays to Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands are all about. Every one of our luxury family holidays, whether it is a safari, a beach holiday or city break provides a safe, fun-filled adventure, valuable cultural interactions and plenty of opportunities for learning and bonding as a family.
Planning your holiday and dates to remember
To make planning your Africa family holiday stress free, we’ve decided to share some of our expert advice and streamline the process. One of the first and most important things to consider is booking well in advance as family friendly accommodation can disappear quickly. Think about the kind of holiday you want to have: a safari, a beach break or both? Certain destinations and the time of year you visit them can determine not only what activities you can do but also the all-important weather and how good your game viewing experience will be. Read our advice on planning your holiday to find out more.
Popular family itineraries
True family-friendly properties are not easy to find and although many properties sell themselves as accommodating to families, this can often be far from the truth. At Mahlatini we have spent many years personally visiting and experiencing the properties we sell and have handpicked only our select favourites to be used in our specially tailored family holidays.
Our favourite family friendly accommodations
These specially selected properties cater specifically for families offering excellent family accommodation, amazing family friendly activities and experiences, entertaining and educational children’s programmes, childcare and in many cases specialist family guides and holiday coordinators. All of these combine to create a truly special family experience with memories that will last a lifetime. Here are a few of our favourites.
- Ants Nest – Malaria free game reserve in South Africa, ideally suited for families. Owner run and managed its intimate atmosphere lends itself to the most incredible family experiences.
- Phinda Mountain Lodge – One of our favourite family friendly lodges in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa with arguably the best safari based kids programme.
- Kichwa Tembo – One of Kenya’s finest family lodges in the heart of the Masai Mara. Recently refurbished, the family tents are amazing.
- Giraffe Manor – One of Africa’s iconic properties, its a bucket list must for all families with an incredible giraffe interaction as the highlight.
- Grootbos – Stunning 5 star lodge in the heart of South Africa’s ‘Whale Route’. Amazing experiences abound which will keep the whole family entertained.
- The One & Only Cape Town – Situated in the center of the V&A waterfront, beside the Aquarium this exceptional hotel boasts the best pool and kids club in Cape Town.
- The Belle Mare Plage – One of our favourite family friendly hotels in Mauritius. The family villas in particular are outstanding and the activities, kids club and facilities are exceptional.
- The Oysterbox – Located on the warm Indian Ocean on Durban’s North coast this luxurious hotel is one of the finest family friendly offerings in Africa.
Get in touch with our experts
Our programmes and accommodation are hand-picked to suit the needs of all the members of the family. Contact us now and let our expert consultants tailor-make your next family adventure.
Speak to a specialist:
- UK: 028 9073 6050
- ROI: +353 1 906 1883
- US: +1 347-708-1755
- AUS: +61 2 8015 2809