The amazing province of KwaZulu Natal on South Africa's East Coast has all the elements that make for a perfect family holiday - excellent weather, stunning scenery and beaches, a huge variety of activities and of course the famous wildlife. The charm of this part of the country is it's compactness and accessibility; as a family you can experience the incredible protected marine habitats of the African Indian Ocean, learn about Zulu culture and see Big 5 game, all within an afternoon's drive of each other!
Arguably an off-the-beaten track family holiday, you will travel all along the coast right up to the border of Mozambique and stay in very remote nature lodges. This is the holiday where you will be far from technology and focused entirely on each other and the fun-filled nature activities such as boat trips to see hippos and crocodiles, canoe trips, forest walks, scuba diving,snorkelling, turtle tracking, fishing and cultural tours. Not forgetting of course, the Big 5 safari, staying at the luxurious Phinda Mountain Lodge. Children of Mahlatini consultants have stayed in these lodges and given them their seal of approval. If you are looking to 'go off grid' for a while, this is the family holiday for you.
- Tailor-made Itinerary from $21,350 For Family of 4
- 3 nights at The Oyster Box Hotel
Upon arrival at Durban King Shaka Airport you will make your way to the car hire desk to collect your hire car. From here you will drive yourself to the upmarket, coastal town of Umhlanga Rocks, north of Durban, and famed for its swimming beaches.
- Elephant Coast
- 2 nights at Makakatana Bay Lodge
Today you will take the drive to the St Lucia Estuary, home to more than 800 hippos and an estimated 1200 Nile crocodiles, not to mention an abundance of birdlife.
- Elephant Coast
- 3 nights at Kosi Forest Lodge
Today you will take the drive to Kosi Bay Nature Reserve, the most pristine lake system on the South African Coast, a tropical paradise of crystal-clear blue water and marshland, raffia, wild date and palm, mangrove swamp and sycamore fig forest.
- Elephant Coast
- 4 nights at Thonga Beach Lodge
Today you will drive to the Maputuland Coast, a magical place of coastal forests, grasslands, bush, shimmering lakes and exquisite sandy beaches. Its crystal clear, warm waters offer South Africa's best snorkelling and excellent off-shore scuba diving.
- Phinda Private Game Reserve
- 3 nights at Phinda Mountain Lodge
Today you will drive to Phinda Private Game Reserve, a private Big 5 game reserve in northern KwaZulu Natal.
Onward Transfer to Durban King Shaka Airport
Today you will take the drive to Durban Airport where you will drop off your hire car and connect with your onward flight home.
Contact our specialists and start planning your tailor-made holiday to South AfricaMake an enquiry
- Arrival Airport: Durban King Shaka
The Oyster Box Hotel
Makakatana Bay Lodge
Kosi Forest Lodge
Thonga Beach Lodge
Phinda Mountain Lodge
- Return Airport: Durban King Shaka
- International flights from JFK
- Accommodation as specified
- Meals as specified
- All scheduled safari activities offered by the camps or lodges
- Car hire, group C car (Toyota Corolla or similar) including full cover, unlimited km and taxes
- National Parks and conservation entry fees
- GPS with your car hire
- Beverages (excluding premium brands) at Phinda Mountain Lodge
- Personal travel insurance
- Additional activities not offered as scheduled by the accommodation
- Visas and visa fees where relevant
- Beverages with the exception of Phinda Mountain Lodge
- Outward Flight:
- Overnight from JFK to Durban King Shaka
- Return Flight:
- Overnight from Durban King Shaka to JFK
You might be also be interested in these alternate tailor-made itineraries:
The prices in our itineraries are intended to guide you towards a potential budget for your holiday.
The cost of your tailored holiday will be dependent on what accommodation and airline class you select, the season you travel in, the airline used, any discounts applied or additional private extras you require.
Our journey specialists understand that you will be searching for a quality holiday at the best price and as we are always looking to establish loyalty to Mahlatini, we will be happy to compare any cheaper options you may have obtained. Do be aware, however, of any hidden extras and that you are indeed comparing like for like whilst also receiving the same quality service and financial protection.