Don't let the name fool you, the Kalahari is far more than the traditional desert experience. Quite dissimilar to the neighbouring Namib, the Kalahari covers a vast array of landscapes and isn't simply defined by swirling red dunes. The Kalahari, while arid, has the ability to support a wider variety of life thanks to higher levels of rainfall and greener vegetation, with short grasses and Camelthorn trees dotting parts of the hinterland.
In spite of the reasonably harsh conditions found in this part of the world, life still manages to find a way. The desert is home to a number of species; unexpected diversity is very much the Kalahari's ace up its sleeve. Stalking the plains there's the chance sighting of lion, notable in the area for their distinctive black manes. Cute meerkats are joined by a variety of plains game, including oryx, kudu, giraffe and hartebeest. There's also the chance to see slightly more elusive residents such as pangolin and porcupine.
On holidays to the Kalahari discover the traditional home of the San Bushmen, with many of these fascinating people still living in the area. From certain camps excursions to a Bushman village are possible. During these trips you not only have the chance to meet the people but gain an incredible insight into their way of life; discovering how they hunt, which plants are used for medicinal purposes and how they survive in the unforgiving semi-desert. The Kalahari is an interesting alternative to the Namib and certainly a unique addition to an itinerary.
- Boasting a semi-desert environment expect a variety of landscapes and dramatic scenery
- Home to a number of wildlife species, including meerkats, lion and elusive pangolin
- Visits to Bushman villages to discover their unique way of life
Why choose Mahlatini
- 100% Financial Protection
- Specialist Knowledge
- Personal Service
- 100% Tailor-made
Wonders of Namibia and Botswana
- Cost Per Person
- From $9,710 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Linyanti, Okavango Delta, Etosha & Surrounds, Damaraland, Sossusvlei & the Namib Desert, Maun
Okavango Explorer and Zambezi Queen
- Cost Per Person
- From $4,820 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Okavango Delta, Caprivi Strip