Inland from the Skeleton Coast, covering some 50,000km², lies the harsh mountainous area known to the Himba people as Kaokoland - one of the wildest and most untouched areas of Africa. This is the home of the semi-nomadic Himba, some of the last people in Africa to be affected by western ways. Kaokoland is also a refuge for the critically endangered black rhino, the giraffe and is famous for its desert elephants. Black rhino tracking is an incredible activity to enjoy in the area, with the chance to see the rare rhino in the wild.
- Home to the semi-nomadic Himba people
- Incredible wildlife, including desert-adapted elephant and rare black rhino
- Breath taking mountain and valley scenery
- The chance to see Namibia's only waterfalls (Epupa Falls)
- Remote, untouched and great for adventure
To the south is a desolate region of mountain ranges, table-top kopjes and dry rivers, especially attractive during the early morning and late afternoon when it is transformed into softly glowing pastel shades. In the north where the Kunene River is a permanent water source, the landscape changes - home to Namibia's only waterfalls, towering fig trees, makalani palms and baobabs. The river is full of crocodiles, white water rapids and waterfalls and to raft here is something special. At Epupa Falls the mighty river tumbles down a deep narrow gorge on its journey west to the Atlantic Ocean.
The camps and lodges you'll find on holidays to Kaokoland are some of Africa's most remote and the perfect escape from the outside world. Lose yourself in the Himba tribe's way of life: the chance to visit their traditional villages a highlight to any trip.
Luxury Namibia Fly-In Safari
- Cost Per Person
- Cost Per Person: from $14,370 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Etosha & Surrounds, Skeleton Coast, Damaraland, Windhoek & Surrounds, Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Sossusvlei & the Namib Desert, Kaokoland
Remote Namibia Fly-In
- Cost Per Person
- Cost Per Person: from $9,080 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Skeleton Coast, Damaraland, Windhoek & Surrounds, Kaokoland
- Featured Accommodations
Serra Cafema Client Score: Not yet rated
Overlooking the Kunene River and the perfect gateway to the Namib Desert sands, Serra Cafema is a luxury accommodation option, boasting well-appointed rooms and a range of exciting activities, including visits to the Himba Tribe.
Epupa Camp Client Score: Not yet rated
A superb tented camp found in Namibia's remote North West, discover the magnificent Epupa Falls and visit a Himba village.