PACKING FOR SAFARI - TOP TIPS
There are three things you need to remember when beginning to think about packing for your individual safari:
- Luggage. We recommend you use a large soft bag for safari, keeping the weight at 15kg (33lb) or less. If your safari includes a light aircraft flight in Africa, as many do (particularly in East Africa), you cannot use a hard suitcase or one with wheels and a pull handle.
- The season you will be travelling. Please remember the Summer (wet months) are generally September - April and Winter (dry months) are May - August. During the Winter months it can get cold at night and in the early morning, particularly when on safari. We would suggest that you pack accordingly. In the Summer months, rain can be common in most safari regions, so remember to pack a light, waterproof jacket.
- Do not over pack. Remember our lodges tend to offer laundry services, which are often complimentary.
- Man-made fabrics, such as MaraTech and BUGTech shirts or other light breathable fabrics like organic cotton
- Long sleeve shirts and t-shirts
- Shorts and, or skirts. Remember, very short skirts are not practical for getting in and out of game drive vehicles
- Long trousers or slacks
- Long-sleeve and full-leg Pajamas. Remember, lightweight for summer and warm for winter
- Underwear. Remember, a sports bra is recommended for games drives as the roads can be bumpy
- Swimming costume if your camp or lodge has a pool
- Lightweight jersey or fleece in summer
- Light rain gear or jacket for summer months
- Warm jersey or fleece in winter
- Smart-casual outfit for the evenings, if you like to dress for dinner
- A hat that provides excellent protection is important on your travels. One that is waterproof, breathable and can be packed flat is suggested
- A light, neutral scarf
- Hiking or comfortable socks
- Comfortable footwear is essential. We recommend trainers and sandals with a thick heel if you will mostly be doing game drives and the occasional walk
- For walking safaris sturdier footwear is required, such as closed walking or safari boots.