Situated on the edge of the Seychelles Bank, Bird Island is the northern most island of the Seychelles archipelago, some 65 miles (105kms) from the main island of Mahé. A tiny coral cay of just 100 hectares, it barely rises above sea level but is blessed with a lush green interior, surrounded by 5kms of white sandy beaches and turquoise waters. There is just one hotel on the island, perfect for nature lovers, offering simple accommodation in bungalows. Bird Island is reached by a 30 minute flight from Mahé
- Coral island with 5kms of white sand beaches
- An ornithologist's heaven - for migratory birds and endemic species
- Important nesting site for Hawksbill and Green turtles
- Coral reef rich in marine life
- Nature conservation is core to the island ethos including turtle monitoring and protection
- 24 eco-chalets providing simple, comfortable accommodation
Bird Island Seychelles, as the name would suggest, is home to thousands of tropical birds, as well as giant tortoises and some fabulous marine life; Hawksbill turtles and Green turtles also visit some of the island's beaches to lay their eggs. From May to October, the northern part of the island is home to millions of nesting sooty terns. Year-round, however, there is a population of at least 20 other bird species, making it an ornithologist's heaven. The island also claims to have the world's largest land tortoise, Esmeralda!
Bird Island represents the perfect balance between nature and running an eco-friendly hotel. Conservation is at the forefront of activity on the island and as well as the various bird colonies, there are several other programmes such as the protection of the critically endangered Hawksbill and Green turtles, have contributed to the island's conservation success story.
The emphasis at Bird Island is very much on relaxation and informality where visitors can appreciate the conservation of wildlife in the most beautiful and tranquil of settings. Activities on the island include walking, snorkelling and fishing.
Three Island Boutique Seychelles Holiday - Cerf, Bird & Praslin islands
- Cost Per Person
- Cost Per Person: from $4,190 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Praslin, Cerf Island, Bird Island