Very different from anything else Tanzania has to offer, holidays to the Mahale Mountains National Park are very special. Set in the far west of the country, remote and beautiful, this off-the-beaten-track destination is quite possibly the best place in the world for chimpanzee safaris. Covering a massive 1613 km² of untamed wilderness, the park is a captivating place to explore, with an estimated 82 species of mammal and dramatic scenery. The sprawling waters of Lake Tanganyika border the park and are great for boat rides and water sports, while the unyielding Mahale Mountains provide a stunning backdrop to take your breath away.
- One of the best places in the world to see chimpanzees
- The impressive Mahale Mountain range
- Untouched white beaches along the shores of Lake Tanganyika
- Incredible water sports activities and snorkelling
- Remote off-the beaten track location
- Dhow cruises on Lake Tanganyika
However, Mahale's main attraction is the chance to see some of the world's last remaining wild chimpanzees. Their social interactions are riveting and their daily routines fascinating to watch. The lush forests are home to around 1000 chimps, with one group in particular well habituated to humans. Hikes can take anything from a 30 minute stroll to far more taxing excursions of around 3 hours. For a better chance to see the chimps, and to endure a less strenuous walk, the dry season is the best option, with the chimps not as far inland and congregating in larger groups. For some relaxation the beach along Lake Tanganyika's shoreline is the answer. Crisp white sand and a complete privacy ensure a very unique kind of beach break.
Epic Tanzania safari
- Cost Per Person
- Cost Per Person: from $15,820 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti & Grumeti Reserves, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park, Mahale Mountains National Park, Katavi National Park