Jinja is Uganda's second-largest town, located on the northern shore of Lake Victoria, which, in 1862, was acknowledged by the famous British explorer Speke as the source of the Nile. Jinja lies in south eastern Uganda, approximately 54 miles (87 km), by road, east of Kampala.
- Superb white-water rafting along the Nile
- Incredible adventure activities, including bungee jumping, kayaking and horse riding
- A unique 9-hole golf course with spectacular views
- Comfortable accommodation options with a lakeside situation
- A visit to the forests of Buvuma Island on Lake Victoria
Jinja is becoming a hotspot for those seeking an adrenaline rush; developing into one of the world's best sites for white-water rafting and providing all manner of other activities to keep people entertained; from kayaking, sailing, quad biking, horse riding, water skiing and even bungee jumping.
Other attractions include a large brewery; a private sailing club on the shores of Lake Victoria and a 9-hole golf course, originally laid out in the 1920's. It famously had a local rule allowing a free drop of the ball if it came to rest in a hippo's hoof print! The course has tremendous views of the Nile and Lake Victoria and the second green is within a 'lob wedge' of the source of the Nile. Bird watchers may wish to head to the forests of Buvuma Island on Lake Victoria, approximately 25 km from Jinja.
The properties found on holidays to Jinja are comfortable and take advantage of the pretty surrounds with charming lakeside situations.
Ultimate Uganda Escape Holiday
- Cost Per Person
- Cost Per Person: from $13,550 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Bwindi, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Kibale, Jinja, Murchison Falls
Uganda Family Adventure Holiday
- Cost For Family of 4
- Cost For Family of 4: from $32,700 (Includes international flights from JFK)
- Bwindi, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Jinja
- Featured Accommodations
Gatley on Nile Client Score: Not yet rated
Overlooking the waters of Lake Victoria, Gatley on Nile is an excellent base from which to explore Jinja's superb water based activities and acts well as a stopover accommodation. Stay in comfortable rooms and take-in relaxing vistas.
Wildwaters Lodge Client Score: Not yet rated
Set mid-stream on a private island in the Nile, Wildwaters Lodge is the perfect way to experience the mighty river with white water rafting and the roar of the rapids in the background.