Sri Lanka’s east coast is an under the radar but emerging region that is particularly good to visit in the summer months, with weather patterns distinct from the rest of the island. The vibrant town of Trincomalee (known as Trinco) is the hub of the east coast, and home to colorful Hindu temples, colonial architecture and stunning coastal scenery. Once a key port and center of trade with neighboring India, Cambodia and Indonesia, the coastline is now dotted with laidback fishing villages and offers a perfect escape for relaxation and water sports on palm-fringed, idyllic beaches.
- Discover Trinco’s maritime history and its natural harbor, one of the world’s largest
- Whale watching in season (March, April, August & September) - see blue and sperm whales
- Best surf waves in Sri Lanka (some of the best in Asia) make Argugam Bay a surf mecca
- Visit the impressive Buddha statues buried amongst jungle near remote Maligawila
- Explore the unspoiled, sleepy coastline and its hidden gems before the crowds arrive
- Whale Watching
- Natural Wonders
- Cultural Experiences
- Archaeological Sites
East Coast Map
TRIPS TO INSPIRE
Wondrous and warm-hearted, Sri Lanka enriches and transforms all who visit. From honeymoons to family adventures, safari and solo trips, experience the joy with this inspiring selection of our favorite itineraries.
- Bespoke itineraries
- Flights and transfers included
- Best rates guaranteed
When to visit
HOW TO BOOK
At Mahlatini, we like to make things easy for you. Browse our website for inspiration or pick up the phone. Whether you’re full of ideas or unsure of where to start, we’re here to help. Serial safari-goer or first-time visitor, we’re ready to create your ultimate tailormade itinerary.
Call us or inquire online. Share your wish list and we’ll start planning your adventure.
Your dedicated travel expert will be in touch within 24 hours to start designing your bespoke itinerary.
We won’t stop refining your plans until we get the perfect trip at the best price.
Receive your Mahlatini travel documents, pack your bags and set off on your trip of a lifetime!